These Benjamin's Best M2 HSS lathe chisels earned "Best Value" Honors in WOOD Magazine's October 2007 issue. In their Oct '07 "Get into Woodturning for under $600" article WOOD magazine said of these chisels, "The tools shown at right win in all three categories: selection, steel and length. The six M2-steel tools shown allow you to turn both spindles and bowls".
This set includes all 6 "Best Value" chisels reviewed by WOOD Magazine:
· 1/2" bowl gouge - 22" L Benjamin's Best: item LX220 HSS Bowl Gouges - Use the bowl gouge for faceplate work.
· 1" Roughing Gouge, 19" L - Benjamin's Best: item LX260 HSS Roughing Gouges - Used primarily for spindle turning, the roughing gouge aggressively takes square spindle stock down to round.
· 3/8" Spindle Gouge - 16"L Benjamin's Best: item LX320 HSS Spindle Gouges- Used for general purpose turning including twig pots,shallow boxes, pens and other small work.
· 1" Standard Skew - 18" L Benjamin's Best: item LX020 HSS Skew Chisels. Used for final finishing and smooth cuts.
· 1" Round Nose Scraper - 18" L Benjamin's Best: item LX120 HSS Round Nose Scrapers - Scrapers are a basic necessity for interior clean-up after the majority of your gouge work has been completed.
· 3/4" x 1/8" Parting Tool - 16"L Benjamin's Best: item LX420 HSS Parting Tools- This tool is used to part off waste, cut tenons, to establish a diameter or cut small flat areas.